Thursday, December 11, 2008


Live Each Day. . .
This picture was taken at Christmas 2002. My how time flies by! I thought about how quickly time goes by because of a lady I met at work today.
A woman came to the hospital to get her blood drawn. As I was "doing what I do", she shared with me that she had been diagnosed with Lymphoma 11 years ago and was given 6 months to live. She suffered through many treatments of Chemo and Radiation. She had many tumors growing throughout her body. Her children were young (18, 14 and 11). Six months went by and she was still here. A year, two years, 5 years. . . and she was still here. She decided to stop all treatments, stop waiting to die, and try to live a normal life for as long as she had left. 11 years later she is still here. She told me she has wanted to be here for her children. She doesn't want to miss out on their lives. She doesn't want them to grow up without her. They are 30, 25, and 22 now. Before she left, she took my hand in hers and said "Live each day"! I have heard her voice in my mind all day today. "Live each day".
I guess the only question is. . . what does "live" mean?
I believe that to "live", is to be honest. It is, to be compassionate to all around me. It is, to be Christlike. To live is to do all in my power to make a difference to someone that day. It is to smile when I see someone. It is making sure that the words that pass my lips are kind, lifting, thoughtful, and positive. It is being organized. It is being ready to go if need be. It is appreciating the beauty of not only each day, but each hour of each day. It is touching. It is loving. It is faith. To live each day, is to breath deep, walk tall, and eat well.
And of course, it means there must be laughter!!!!

0 comments: