Friday, September 4, 2009

COLORADO HERE WE COME

PAGOSA SPRINGS

Oh what a beautiful morning,

Oh what a beautiful day,

I've got a wonderful feeling,

Everythings goin' my way!


That's how we feel when we wake up in Pagosa Springs!



Day 1: Woke up eager to check out the gym. We walked over there and did our eliptical, bike, weights, work out and then went to the store eager to buy healthy food! We chose wisely; vegies, fruit, milk, sour dough bread, and raw almonds. Then when walking back to the register we had a moment of weakness and threw a pkg of Klondikes into the cart! Oh well.


We spent the afternoon walking along the oldtown shops, not buying, just holding hands and enjoying being together.






Day 2:
A hike to Opal Lake. This is a lake that is a milky color due to the minerals that run into it. It was a lovely day to hike. Temp was nice. It was a steep uphill climb of about 600 ft. but I made it without complaint :) We leveled off and went through a meadow with full view of the majestic Colorado Mountains looming above us. We climbed a little more and there she was. . . Opal Lake. There was a gurgling brook flowing into it, and a perfectly positioned fallen tree to sit on and eat some lunch. I loved a little family of ducks. . . mom, dad, and about 6 or 8 little ones. They had the entire lake to themselves. Too sweet! We hiked back and when we got back, we took a nap! (old people do that you know!). Then, as if we hadn't gotten enough excersize, Jeff trots off to the gym! I, on the other hand, went shopping! Found a cute thrift shop called Upscale Resale. Found a couple of things for "Sweet Baby Boy" (as Addie calls the little brother that is coming soon.)
This evening, we went to a line dancing class.


Very fun, but do people really do this anymore?



Day 3: Today I took a Water color painting class. It was so fun! I have always wanted to try it and so I did. The pic I painted isn't wonderful, but it perfectly fits it's role as a "first painting"! When I was done, Jeff and I went to Durango (about an hour away) and saw the movie Julie and Julia--which we both liked very much! Makes me want to go through a cookbook and try every single recipe----after my painting class, I'm feeling quite inspired :)

After the movie we went to see the Bar D Wranglers for dinner and a show. It was fabulous as always! After, we were looking in the shops and one of the fiddler in the show come in and says "Does anyone here own a white honda"? I looked at him and knew it wasn't good news. Yep, we got crunched in the parking lot. No, it couldn't have been on the same side that Kevin crunched a year ago! It had to be in the exact same place--on the other side of the car. Now when we open both front doors they make a horrible crunching sound.

Dave Burgess, we are on our way over!
Day 4: Today we are hiking Piedra falls. Jeff says that since I did so well on the other 600ft climb, I should have no trouble doing this one! It is a hike that he and his dad and brothers and our boys have done many times. They lure is that there is excellent fishing at the river above the falls! You drop it in-----they bite it!

Well, this hike didn't turn out the way we had planned! fishing vests on, pole in hand, pnut butter sandwich and water in the day pack---we started the ascent. It was soooooo steep! I kept thinking "how am I going to get down this on the way back?" But Jeff said that when you get up to the top it levels out, so I kept thinking "ok, I can do this". Well it went up and up and up and up--at over 800ft above where we started (we know that thanks to jeffs gps), we came to a view that was out of this world!









I thought ok, we have reached the top, now I can hike on level ground to the river. . . catch 20 fish, and then worry about how my really bad knees are going to get me back down. Wellllllll, we didn't stay level. We went straight down. . . 200 feet! Then up 100 feet! Then down 100 feet! (You get the picture) Then we see the river 200 feet down a ravine! I sat down and said NO! I can't do this anymore! You go fish for your stupid trout---I'm going back--ALONE!!!! Well, after sitting for awhile in silence, we pulled out some snacks and rested and then decided that Jeff would go down and fish and I would find a nice place to sit and read the book I brought along. Jeff caught 6 fish right away and then the thunder began to roll and the clouds got black. Jeff climbed back up to where I was and we began our hike UP and DOWN and UP and DOWN and DOWN and DOWN. I was sooooo mad that he would bring me to a place like this. My knees were hurting soooo bad but I had no choice but to go on. I was getting madder and madder as I watched him ahead of me taking a few steps and then turning around watching me while I struggled to follow. I finally told him to just keep on going so I didn't have to see him waiting for me. He hesitated, but finally went because he knew I didn't have anything good to say and he was going to get the wrath of me if he didn't get out of my line of vision. I cried most of the way down that mountain. I slid, I fell, I took baby steps to try to stay on my feet, I walked sideways most of the way to keep from sliding 100feet down. It was trecherous!!!! At the bottom, I tried so hard to keep my cool---and I did! We got in the car and drove away. About 3 miles out I decided to turn around and go back. I wanted to fish the Piedra river and I was going back to do it! Jeff caught two more fish! I caught none------but that was ok. . . . . .we were having fun and we had salvaged a terrible day!

***I learned on this day that I would have made a lousy pioneer!

We went to the Hot Springs and soaked our woes away. It was a beautiful night with a full moon, warm water and the one I love-----even if he does put my life at risk now and then!















Day 5: Today---Slept In!!! So deserved!! We went to the Four Courners Folk Festival. It was sooo fun! We have never been to one of those before. People were camping all over the place. They stay for all three days and camp right on top of each other. It was such a hippy thing! Kids running around barefoot and filthy, women without bra's, everyone in rags or tie dye, dredlocks. . . . you get the picture. I felt like I was thrown into a "Rainbow" community :) But when you got under the Big Tent, there were people from every walk of life!

Our favorite group was the Marc Atkinson Trio.
Two guitarists and a stand up bass. Just awesome!

They are from Canada and do not spend very much time in the U.S. so it will be a while before we can see them again. I'm going to have to get a CD.
I kept thinking how much Kyle would love them.

Day 6: Our last full day here. My how time goes fast when you are on vacation! This has been a wonderful week. This morning Jeff got up and made cinnamon pancakes! Yummm!

We drove up to Wolf Creek Pass and took a dirt road up to a trail that lets you hike the Continental Divide! Yep, we did it! We didn't go very far due to my fresh memory of the last hike--but the view was amazing to say the least. It makes me want to study that geography more. I have a question. . . . does more water fall to the West or to the East when it rains on the Continental Divide? I'll have to look it up!

Anyway, after that, we went to downtown Pagosa where Jeff found an awesome fly fishing shop. He had a great time talking "Fly" with a guide there. Next time we come, I guess it has been arranged for us to go with this guy to get properly taught about Fly Fishing in the Wimanuche Wilderness! I didn't think we did too badly on our own?!?

We came home and took a quick 20 minute power nap, and then went to see "The Proposal" with Sandra Bullock. Great movie!! Then off to an Italian Restaurant that looked nice but ended up being the worst Italian we'd ever had! But that's o.k. The rest of the trip was completely wonderful! It is raining hard outside right now---so glad it didn't do this the whole week! It sounds wonderful though.

Day 7
Home Again Home Again

Jiggity Jig!

1 comments:

A Joyful Chaos said...

Looks like a great get away! Thanks for sharing.